Preparing For Knee Replacement Surgery

Each year thousands of Americans undergo the knife to correct parts of the body. One of the most popular surgeries in the United States is replacement of the knee. Before replacement of the knee there are many key things to do that will set the patient up for healing success. This article will give helpful hints to prepare for knee surgery.

Preparing For Knee Replacement Surgery
Overview

The knee is considered to be the largest joint in the body. Each year more than 540,000 knee replacement surgeries take place in the US alone. These people represent every demographic and 90% of these surgeries are a complete success and reduces patient discomfort. The other 10% that do not successfully recover from an operation can be for a myriad of reasons. One of the main reasons is failure to prepare before the surgery. Arthritis and degenerative muscular diseases are among the top reasons for joint replacements. The majority of candidates are between 50 and 80 years old

Helpful Tips

The most important tip to assists in preparation of knee surgery is to start as early as possible. Preparation is key and it can take a couple of weeks to get ready for such a serious surgery and make a smooth transition.

Although knee replacement surgery is a routine operation, there are still many risks associated. Ask the doctor as many questions as possible to learn about the procedure. Some key questions include asking what type of anesthesia will be used, and if extra blood should be stored at a blood bank as a precaution. It is recommended to bring a family member or trusted friend to record information from the doctor, so the patient is not overwhelmed.

A visit to the dentist is also recommended before having serious knee surgery. Having any bacterial infections in the mouth can spread to the blood stream. These bacterial infections are a serious threat to anyone undergoing surgery. Taking antibiotics for 2-3 weeks before knee surgery is suggested to keep the body in top condition.

Low impact cardio and stretching exercises can increase the body’s ability to heal itself. Staying in top physical condition strengthens the muscles and bones around the affected area, to create better stability and healing. Losing weight will also decrease the amount of pressure felt on the replaced joints. Improving lifestyle choices, such a reduced drinking and smoking, will also enable the body to heal itself faster.

Taking the time to rearrange furniture or heavy items in a house will make it patient recovery less stressful. The possibility of hitting the injured area or damaging a joint after knee replacement surgery is incredibly high. A lamp falling, or clutter, can seriously delay or ruin a patient’s chance for complete recovery.

People from all walks of life experience the many benefits of knee surgeries. These surgeries reduce the pain and suffering felt by many. The doctor takes care of the majority of the work; however it is up to the patient to ensure they can appropriately take care of themselves. With proper preparations, healing time can be expedited and many predicaments avoided.