The health of your body depends on colon function. The colon is the part of the digestive system that filters all remaining nutrients out of the food you take in, sending the material that is no longer needed down through your digestive system to be eliminated. When the colon is healthy and working properly, your daily elimination schedule is regular and comfortable, you have sweet-smelling breath and clear skin and you do not suffer from bloating or body odor. When your colon function becomes irregular, you can experience any or all of these unpleasant side effects. When this occurs, it can signal that your colon needs cleansing.
Understanding the Colon Cleanse
If you have never done a home colon cleanse before, you may feel understandably nervous about which method to choose, how to do it properly and what kind of results you can expect. This is absolutely normal and natural. The good news is, thousands of people do home colon cleanses every day and feel better right away. The even better news is that there are as many ways to cleanse your colon at home as there are people who perform home colon cleanses.
Different Ways to Cleanse the Colon at Home
It is always important to consult your physician before doing a cleanse at home if you have any digestive concerns. As well, your doctor may have insight into the best method of home colon cleansing for your needs. Here are some of the most popular options for cleansing your colon at home.
- Using a colon cleansing kit at home
- Taking pill or powder supplements such as Aloe vera, senna, organic coffee or psyllium husk
- Using prescription or over-the-counter medications to aid in cleansing the colon
- Drinking teas or juices
- Using home enemas
- Drinking salt dissolved in water
- Increasing intake of water and fibrous foods such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains
How to Prepare for a Home Colon Cleanse
When you decide to perform a colon cleanse at home, you will want to prepare by making time in your schedule. Depending on the method you choose, you may need to wait and schedule time on a weekend or in the evening when you don’t have any obligations. For some teas and supplements, you may need to prepare in the evening and wait overnight for the colon cleansing properties to take effect. Be sure to read the instructions thoroughly and choose a time when you have unlimited bathroom access and you don’t feel rushed.
How to Do a Home Colon Cleanse
Use these steps to perform a colon cleanse at home as often as you need to in order to maintain optimal colon health and digestive system function.
- Choose your colon cleansing method. You can choose from the list above or consult your physician to choose the best method for the symptoms you are experiencing.
- Schedule time to do the colon cleanse. If you are using a home colon cleansing kit for the first time, allow extra time to read through the instructions and set up the kit in your bathroom.
- Follow all the preparation instructions carefully. Depending on the method you choose, preparation may include drinking a certain amount of water or liquid, fasting for a period of time, taking pills or powders and waiting for some time or mixing together a certain preparation.
- Be aware of your digestive system function throughout. If you have never done a colon cleanse before, you may have more built-up matter in your colon that will need to be expelled. Just pay careful attention to your digestive system when it signals you that the cleansing has begun in earnest.
- Be sure to drink plenty of water and rest afterward. After your colon cleanse you will feel lighter, healthier and full of energy. Nevertheless, your body has just eliminated a great many toxins and rest can help it reap the full benefits of the cleansing process. As well, continue to drink plenty of water to flush any remaining toxins out of your system.
By following these steps you can help your colon do its job and keep your body and digestive system healthy.
About the Author: Kelly Carole has been performing home colon cleanses for years. She credits her regimen for maintaining excellent digestive health well into her golden years.