Finding Help – Where To Turn For Help With Mental Or Behavioral Problems

If you suffer from mental or behavioral problems, it can be difficult and confusing to know what to do to get better. Most of the time you cannot solve these problems on your own, and you will need to seek help from somewhere else. If you’re looking for assistance, here are a few different resources you can turn to.
Finding Help - Where To Turn For Help With Mental Or Behavioral Problems

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is a federal organization that’s dedicated to educating the public and helping connect people with the resources they need. If you want to find help for mental or behavioral problems, the SAMHSA website is a good place to start looking, at The website has plenty of resources and educational materials, as well as a tool for finding local therapists or other services.


The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is another organization that’s dedication to spreading public awareness about mental illness. The NAMI website has lots of education materials and recommendations, as well as phone numbers to call where you can be connected with exactly the type of help or resources you need. Check it out at


If you have a primary doctor, try asking them for recommendations about what to do for whatever mental or behavioral problem you are affected by. Your physician can help you determine what services would most benefit you, as well as recommend you to other doctors or therapists in your area. Talking to your doctor is an excellent way to start seeking help.
Religious Leaders

If you belong to a religious organization, consider asking your religious leaders for help. Your religious leaders may be able to point you in the right direction to receive therapy, as many religious groups have established support systems for mental and behavioral problems, especially if spiritual guidance is what you seek. While this route can work, just remember to be careful. Some religious organizations use methods that aren’t approved or recommended by the medical field, and sometimes people who offer services don’t have the proper qualifications to really treat the root of your problems.

If you’re a student, you can almost always find help for mental or behavioral problems through your school. In high school, for example, you should turn to a trusted teacher or a guidance counselor. In college, check out the student health services office, and ask to be referred to an on-campus or off-campus place that frequently treats students with similar issues.
Family or Friends

If you’re unsure of where to go to find help, consider going to your closest and most trusted family members or friends. Your loved ones may be able to recommend you to an organization or therapist that they or someone they know has had positive experiences with. Your loved ones themselves can also be a great source of help with your problems; they may be able to help by listening to you, offering advice, or simply providing support and companionship when needed.

Katherine Brown is a mental health expert and writer who tries to help others coping with mental or behavioral disorders.