In some ways, dressing for the summer months is much harder than the rest of the year. When dressing for cooler weather, it’s quite easy to hide bulges and body flaws under layers of clothing, after all!
Summer clothes are, however, essentially lighter and more revealing, so it becomes important to understand how to wear them well. Unflattering and ill-fitting clothes can completely ruin the way you look, so make sure that you choose clothes that suit you. Accessories are also essential, as they can make a huge difference to your outfit.
Dos and Don’ts for Summer Dressing
In order to achieve a fashionable and eye-catching style for the summer, there are a few things that you should keep in mind. The tips listed below will help you avoid fashion disasters and should be followed by anyone who wants to look good!
What to Do
- Rather than wearing baggy clothing, opt for items that are well-fitting (not too loose or too tight). Skin-tight clothes can make you feel sweaty and uncomfortable, but clothes that are very loose make you look dowdy.
- Choose fabrics like cotton, linen, silk and other natural blends since they allow your skin to breathe and keep sweat at bay. Certain synthetic fabrics created for active people are also available, which wick sweat away from your body, keeping you dry and comfortable.
- Carry a light jacket or coat when you go out in the evenings, as the weather can get cooler at night. These are also helpful in case of sudden rain, so make sure you are prepared if you live in an area with unpredictable weather changes.
- Get a pedicure if you plan to wear open sandals or flip-flops, since dirty nails or chipped nail paint looks terrible with open footwear!
- Avoid wearing very short clothing unless you have a really good figure. Mid-thigh or knee-length shorts and skirts are the most figure-flattering, so pick these instead of looking and feeling uncomfortable.
- Wear colour-coordinated underwear with your outfits, especially if there is a chance that you may get soaked in the rain. If you are wearing sleeveless clothes, you don’t want discoloured bra straps peeking out from under them. Also, try and get boyshorts or thongs to wear under dresses and skirts, as they help you avoid the dreaded ‘panty line’!
- Drink plenty of water to ensure that you stay hydrated and exude a healthy glow. There is nothing as attractive as great skin and water is essential to ensure that your skin stays smooth and firm.
- Coordinate your accessories with the outfit you wear, and keep them light. Try adding a summery scarf to a plain blouse or a string of beads to accent a deep neckline. Also, match your footwear with your clothes (this goes for men and women) and buy a few pairs in neutral colours so you can mix-and-match!
What Not to Do
- For the men, it’s not a good idea to walk around shirtless, no matter how hot it may be. People don’t want to see bare chests wherever they go, so unless you’re at the beach or the pool, wear a t-shirt or shirt that fits you well.
- A similar rule for the ladies – avoid walking around in a bikini (or bikini top and shorts) when you are anywhere else but near water. It’s surprising how many people think it’s acceptable to dress for the beach while sitting in the park or walking the dog!
- Skip the fake tan if you want to avoid looking like a streaky paint job thanks to sweat and friction from clothing. The summer months are ideal for getting a real tan, so make the most of the sunshine while it lasts.
- Don’t skip the deodorant when you leave the house, as no one wants to be anywhere near folks who smell nasty! Use a good antiperspirant if you sweat a lot and ensure that you shower regularly to avoid any dirty looks from people around you.
- One of the biggest fashion mistakes made by women is the use of heavy makeup in the warm months. The combination of heat and sweat turns your makeup cakey and your skin cannot breathe either. Keep it light to make sure you look fresh, using just a lip colour and minimal eye makeup.
As long as you spare some time and effort in picking clothes and accessories that suit you, dressing for summer becomes an easy task. Remember the tips above and create your own summer style!
Samantha Whitmore, a fashion expert from http://www.kasukukikoy.com/, advises people on common questions about clothing and fashion, like how to pick the best summer clothes, party clothes, etc.